Dragon Boat Festival
also known as Duanwu Festival (端午节/Duānwǔ Jié) and the Double Fifth, is a traditional Chinese festival occurs on the 5th day of the 5th month of the lunar calendar.
1. Eating (吃/Chī) sticky rice dumplings (粽子/Zòngzi)
2. Drinking (喝/Hē) realgar wine (雄黃酒/Xiónghuángjiǔ)
Caution: Drinking realgar wine is only the traditional way of celebrating the festival thinking it can cure the toxic in the body. In fact, realgar is an arsenic sulfide mineral, and source of highly toxic inorganic arsenic. Drinking realgar wine presents a potentially serious and currently unquantified health risk so it’s not recommended.
3. Racing (赛/Sài) Dragon Boats (龙舟/Lóngzhōu)
Charity Dragon Boat Fun Day
Chinese Viewfinder’s Club is going to organise a charity Dragon Boat fun day to raise fund for Oxfam and to share with you the beauty of the Dragon Boat Festival.
Date: 22nd June 2013 (Sat)
Time: 9:30am for 10am start
Venue: London Regatta Centre, Dockside Road E16 2QT London
Programme: Racing on Dragon Boat, Demonstration of sticky rice dumpling, Mandarin taster class, making new friends and more…
- £12 per head (Paddler price)
– there are only limited places for paddler, so book soon to avoid disappointment!
- £6 per head (Non-paddler price)
- Other than basic cost of the event, all ticket income will be donated to Oxfam
- The final amount raised through the event will be published to the group
Click RSVP to sign up and learn more about the event!
Below is a short video about the origin and custom of the Dragon Boat Festival, hope you’ll enjoy it!